Models: P160x-xxxx Models: A1010xx
Important: read steps 1-3 before applying power!
1. Ensure that you have the required accessories
- A high quality 2000mA rated 5V DC power supply with 5.5mm OD / 2.1mm ID center positive polarity plug.
- A micro HDMI to HDMI cable.
- A USB male Micro-B to female Standard-A cable.
- An ethernet cable
- A fan (required for boards sold before July 10th, 2014)
2. Create a bootable micro-SD card
Burn a fresh Micro-SD card using the latest distribution.
Note: Burn a fresh SD card even if you were shipped a pre-programmed micro-SD card!
3. Familiarize yourself with known issues
- The board does get hot so you have to take precautions to cool the board properly. Before letting the board run for hours, you must ensure that the board doesn’t overheat. (preferably by using the ‘xtemp’ utility.)
- Boards used in fanless configuration must be placed vertically.
- Like all electronics, the Parallella is sensitive to static discharge and must be handled appropriately.
- If you were shipped a board before March 1st, 2014, then you must use a conforming powered USB hub.
- If you were shipped a board before July 10th, 2014 then you must use a fan with the board. (we do still recommend a fan for all customers, especially if you are going to push the performance of the board)
4. Connect peripherals, fit the heatsink and apply power
- Connect the cables as indicated by #1-4 in the picture above
- Attach a heatsink to the Zynq device (#5 in right hand picture) OR install the new large heatsink onto the Parallella board
- Make sure a fan is directed at the board if required:- A fan is required when using the small heatsink (right hand picture above). With the large heatsink (left hand picture above) the board will function in normal conditions without requiring a fan, depending on your usage. Monitor the temperature using a utility such as xtemp, and keep the chip temp below 70 degrees Celsius.
- Apply power (#6 in picture)
5. Build and run a program
The system will boot and a login screen will appear.
Login with the username linaro and password linaro.
Bring your own code or grab one of the example projects from the open source repositories below:
Visit the Parallella forums to join the community and share your experiences!
Register your Parallella to get updates, newsletters, tutorials and more
- You must use a 5V power supply of the correct specification to avoid immediate and permanent damage.
- You must cool the board appropriately to avoid long term permanent damage.
- The board is ESD sensitive, please take the necessary precautions.
- Only use conforming USB powered hubs (applies only to boards shipped before March 1st, 2014)
- Technical Help Forum
- How to create an SD card
- Install the heatsink onto the Parallella board
- How to construct the acrylic Parallella case
- Parallella Reference Manual (PDF)
- Parallella Schematic (PDF)
- Epiphany Architecture Reference Manual (PDF)
- Epiphany SDK Reference Manual (PDF)
- Epiphany III 16-core Chip Product (PDF)
- Epiphany IV 64-core Chip Product (PDF)
- Parallella Hardware Design files (GIT)