Models: P160x-xxxx Models: A1010xx
Important: read steps 1-3 before applying power!
1. Ensure that you have the required accessories
- A high quality 2000mA rated 5V DC power supply with 5.5mm OD / 2.1mm ID center positive polarity plug.
- A micro HDMI to HDMI cable.
- A USB male Micro-B to female Standard-A cable.
- An ethernet cable
- A fan (only required for boards sold before July 10th, 2014)
2. Create a bootable micro-SD card
Burn a fresh Micro-SD card using the latest distribution.
Note: Burn a fresh SD card even if you were shipped a pre-programmed micro-SD card!
3. Familiarize yourself with known issues
- Like all electronics, the Parallella is sensitive to static discharge and must be handled appropriately.
- The board does get hot so you have to take precautions to cool the board properly.
- If you were shipped a board before March 1st 2014, then you must use a conforming powered USB hub.
4. Connect peripherals, fit the heatsink and apply power
- Connect the cables as indicated by #1-4 in the picture above
- Attach a heatsink to the Zynq device (#5 in right hand picture) OR install the new large heatsink onto the Parallella board
- Make sure a fan is directed at the board if required:- A fan is required when using the small heatsink (right hand picture above). With the large heatsink (left hand picture above) the board will function in normal conditions without requiring a fan, depending on your usage. Monitor the temperature using a utility such as xtemp, and keep the chip temp below 70 degrees Celsius.
- Apply power (#6 in picture)
5. Build and run a program
The system will boot and a login screen will appear.
Login with the username linaro and password linaro.
Bring your own code or grab one of the example projects from the open source repositories below:
Visit the Parallella forums to join the community and share your experiences!
- You must use a 5V power supply of the correct specification to avoid immediate and permanent damage.
- You must cool the board appropriately to avoid long term permanent damage.
- The board is ESD sensitive, please take the necessary precautions.
- Only use conforming USB powered hubs (applies only to boards shipped before March 1st, 2014)
- Technical Help Forum
- How to create an SD card
- Install the heatsink onto the Parallella board
- How to construct the acrylic Parallella case
- Parallella Reference Manual (PDF)
- Parallella Schematic (PDF)
- Epiphany Architecture Reference Manual (PDF)
- Epiphany SDK Reference Manual (PDF)
- Epiphany III 16-core Chip Product (PDF)
- Epiphany IV 64-core Chip Product (PDF)
- Parallella Hardware Design files (GIT)