[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - SOM on carrier board

SOM on carrier board

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

SOM on carrier board

Postby jlambrecht » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi,

Are there any plans to redesign the existing parallella board into a SOM design. This could allow multiple boards to easily be fit into a backplane / carrier board. However, this might require some heavy engineering efforts. On the other hand, this would permit for optimal performance, scalability, connectivity and extendability.

FYI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-on-module
jlambrecht

Re: SOM on carrier board

Postby piotr5 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:38 pm

in spirit parallella already is a som-design. it has fpga and thereby future versions can be programmed to cooperate with old carrier-boards. so instead of pleading for a som, create a carrier-board that can host 16 parallellas (maybe 8 on each side) and link the included epiphany chips into a chain -- if future versions of epiphany stay compatible with the current eLink protocol. the point is, fpga provides a connection among the boards, maybe faster than eLink. with smart carrier-board design you could boot up the parallellas in sequence at the right timing.for obtaining much higher transfer-frequencies than a single board could. this way the carrier module could become a som itself, flexible enough to communicate with future generations of motherboards...

also I must point at my threads in this requests-thread. they point out a weakness of epiphany-chips: they aren't scaleable. you can only have 4k epiphany-cores in total. to overcome such limitation I propose there a circuit for transforming the eLink protocol on the fly, before sending it to another board, thereby allowing for adding a 3rd eLink connector to the board. of course arm is not affected by this limitation, therefore what you propose here is doable without redesigning a board. unfortunately what I propose is beyond the usual som concept, I want each parallella to work as both, module and carrier-board for 2 other parallellas.

and finally, if someone really creates an epiphany powered som with the purpose of equipping supercomputers with them, afterall the hardware is open and we don't require help from adapteva for that, then it better be a board with some arm-cpu making use of the whole lot of 4k epiphany cores (or maybe 3840==16x15 epiphany and the arm-processor connected to the 1920 pins == 16x60 eLink pins for each of the 2 ends of that grid to form a loop) by communicating through 2-4 eLink connections (resp. 32 if you formed the loop) and pretending to be one of them. this cpu then could take over communication to the carrier board, the necessary bottle-neck so to say. how much energy does each epiphany chip consume? definitely less than 2w, that's less than 500w for 8k gigaflops. (each epiphany core can run at 1Ghz and calculate an mul-add at each tick, that's 2gflops per core.) if creation of a parallella board costs 100$, and fpga is consuming the most amount, I suppose a bulk-order of epiphany chips would cost less than 50$ the piece, that's <12800$ per 8teraflop module. I think xeon phi is more expensive, but intel's pcie-card has definitely more memory than the total of 128m available on the epiphany cores plus a maximum amount of 4g added to the 32bit arm -- not to forget the bottle-neck of 1-16m shared memory through which epiphany can fiddle data-transfers into and out of the 4g managed by arm or the module...

either way, you'd better be quick with such development, not sure how long intel will remain at its low gflops count per module. maybe by the time you developed all this, intel's offer would look much more attractive, considering the development-costs you'd have for hardware and software. in effect I suspect adapteva did look thoroughly into that route of action, calculated the risks and possible profits, and decided it isn't worth the hassle when compared to the educational path raspberry pi did choose...
piotr5

Postby jlambrecht » Wed May 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks for the elaborate feedback. I'm just a person who drifted into ICT and now feels lost with no relevant degree and only knowledge on operational ( OS/NETWORK/SECURITY) but not on hardware.

Design a carrier board ? I'd love to but have not found a place to start at all. It's a steep dark mountain side i'm looking at. I don't get the my-and-myself only attitude from hardware people. If there was any sense of togetherness this forum would have shit designs and there would have been a shop on this forum where people would be able to just order one of those awesome designs with a kickback fee for parallella.org Something like that.

While cross-reading on elink etc i came under the impression it might fail when multiple cpu's / boards get hooked up. With fail meaning bandwidth will quickly become a bottle neck and no real gain will be found from hooking up many boards.
jlambrecht

Postby sebraa » Wed May 18, 2016 7:32 pm

sebraa

Postby jlambrecht » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks for the constructive reply, i was having quite a bad day.

I'm frustrated i have some insight into what may be great products but lack the make-do and know-how. I'm currently exercising force NOT to buy an Arty ( Artix-7 FPGA ) board because i have ideas which i cannot validate beforehand. Same for epiphany. I can script a bit but i've never touched c/c++ or java.

My main interest / dream is having some exotic self-built motherboard with a mix of FPGA + CPU + HCM/HBM ... impossible.

On the more realistic side i'm searching to have a platform for opencl acceleration. Primarily for Suricata and/or Snort, otherwise also for Graph search engines.

If i'd be really honest, what i'd really think would be cool is to have hacker-lab with a reflow oven, group funding to actually think about making something entirely different yet usable.
jlambrecht

Return to General Discussion