[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - $2.5K and $10K Prototype Boards

$2.5K and $10K Prototype Boards

Forum for anything not suitable for the other forums.

Re: $2.5K and $10K Prototype Boards

Postby ubii » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:45 pm

ed2k,

Not sure if this will help, but take a look at page 36 of the pdf below, under the section "Appendix III: Using Linux Host PC".

http://www.zedboard.com/sites/default/f ... 5B1%5D.pdf
ubii

Postby ed2k » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:06 pm

yes, that page is exactly what I did. To find out the uboot is not able to automatically boot into linux.
now I am able to boot into linaro soc linux.
but new problem is, I am unable to find the e-loader
this what I have with my laptop,
which e-loader
/opt/adapteva/esdk/tools/host/x86_64/bin/e-loader

this is what I got from the zedboard host.
linaro@linaro-ubuntu-desktop:~/work/scr$ ls /opt/adapteva/esdk.4.13.01.04/tools/host/armv7l/bin
e-gdb e-objcopy

seems I am expected to build my own loader. which will do sooner or later. but right I am just trying to find a way to verify the daughter board is working.
ed2k

Postby aolofsson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Really sorry that you are having problems getting up and running. There was an SD card in the box that should have been all you need. We will write u a quick start post and publish it tomorrow.
Andreas
aolofsson

Postby ysapir » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:16 am

@ed2k

As Andreas mentioned, the SD card was included, and we placed it in the box with the power brick. These are the same SD cards which we used to test the Beowulf cluster (), so we're pretty sure they're fully functional.

Note that you can either use HDMI cable to directly connect the board to a monitor, and a USB hub to connect a mouse and a keyboard, or you can use SSH from your laptop if you connect the board via Ethernet to your LAN.
ysapir

Postby ed2k » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:33 am

Hi ysapir,

I am able to use the SD card to boot the linux now. The HDMI and mouse works.
The problem I have is, the uboot failed to auto-boot. I have to use UART port to see the uboot split out command error with some garbage characters when executing boot then stopped. However, I still can type ENTER then BOOT to continue

another problem is, I can not find e-server and e-loader in the esdk.4.13.01.04 version. Since I still don't have access to the source code for both of the programs, I can not have a test run on my own program.
By looking at the tools/host/*/include directory, I can see there are new header files. This may indicates the loader has changed to a library.
ed2k

Postby ysapir » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:27 am

@ed2k,

This is very strange... as I mentioned, the cards were fully functional just a couple of days ago, so I am not sure what happens. Now, you say that the peripherals work fine? Did you try to watch the boot process in a monitor using the HDMI connection? After power-on there should be an image of two penguines for a short time, and after a couple of minutes, the login screen should come alive. Is this what you see?

{I assume that you refer to the supplied SD card and not the one you tried to create yourself}

As for using the loader - the sequence described in the book is for the old EMEK systems. The Parallella machines use a different HAL. I will write a short quickstart guide later today, but for starters, you can look at the matmul-16 example in the eSDK. It should include all the components required for building a multicore applications.

HTH.
ysapir

Postby ysapir » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:19 pm

To clarify some points - In order to fully utilize the ZedBoard one needs the FPGA bitstream image to be loaded during the boot process. Thus, it is improbable that a card you prepared yourself will make the board functional. If you're able to boot with your image, them most probably you have missing peripherals, and absolutely no Epiphany support.
ysapir

Postby ed2k » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 pm

ed2k

Postby ysapir » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:02 pm

ysapir

Postby mrgs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:49 pm

@ed2k : Good to know, You are going to build up Your own system 'from scratch'. :) Sources: It should be open/free source (at least the GPL parts) ... Regarding to the FPGA: more 'positive' confirmations : "... We intend to document the process we used in detail as soon as the platform stabilizes. ..." by 'The Boss' ;) OR "The FPGA won't be locked down and the HDL source will be provided under an open source licence." by 9600 . Regards, Gabor
| OS4E : A preemptive, multiprocessing, microkernel based OS for Epiphany ARCH |
mrgs

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion