[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - LiteSATA.

LiteSATA.

Using Zynq Programmable Logic and Xilinx tools to create custom board configurations

LiteSATA.

Postby 9600 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:52 am

Wondering if this could be used to implement SATA:

https://github.com/enjoy-digital/litesata

I see that Zynq Linux drivers is on the list of possible improvements, so it sounds promising.

Perhaps someone better qualified to do so could comment?

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Re: LiteSATA.

Postby florent » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:57 am

Hello Andrew,

unfortunately you won't be able to use it on the actual Parallella since it requires at least a transceiver.
It's a shame that Zynq with transceivers are so expensive which was probably not compatible with the targeted Parallella price.

I have others cores I want to port to the Parallela I bought but haven't found time yet to play with it...

Cheers,

Florent
florent

Postby 9600 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi Florent,

Thanks for the clarification and I look forward to hearing about your porting efforts in due course :)

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Back

Postby FHuettig » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:14 am

Interesting core! Transceivers capable of Sata-2 can be had in a Spartan-6 LXT starting around $50 in low qty. The litesata project says they only support 7-series GTX transceivers, but it might not be too hard to port that logic to GTP. It would then be possible to build a board with the Spartan-6 and SATA connector, that interfaced to the Parallella via GPIO connector.

About 6 years ago I interfaced a TI DSP to SATA using a SiliconImage PCI-SATA bridge, but it looks like those parts are all PCIe now, no surprise, so that doesn't help. Marvell has a PATA-SATA bridge, it would be possible to create a PATA interface using the GPIOs and use a chip like that.
-- Fred -- Hardware Guy --
FHuettig

Postby florent » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:06 am

Hello Fhuettig,

yes porting to a Spartan 6 FPGA should not be that hard. (It was maybe not clear but I'm the author of the core). I've tried to have a good separation between what is specific to a target and what is generic.

By the way we have moved LiteSATA to MiSoC https://github.com/m-labs/misoc.

I'm not able to design a such board, but in case someone want to do that, I can help for the SATA and FPGA gateware (we also have a nice collection of others cores).

Florent
florent

Return to FPGA Design