[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - a 64 channel logic analyzer with 100 MHz samplerate

a 64 channel logic analyzer with 100 MHz samplerate

Using Zynq Programmable Logic and Xilinx tools to create custom board configurations

a 64 channel logic analyzer with 100 MHz samplerate

Postby frank_buss » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 am

For developing hardware for my C64 and C128, I developed a 64 channel logic analyzer:

http://www.frank-buss.de/parallella/sampler/index.html

The Java client runs over network on my PC, but should be possible to run it on the Parallella board itself as well. Then add some external knobs and buttons, and you'll have a real nice logic analyzer, which usually costs much more, once some more features are implemented for the software and the trigger conditions in the VHDL entity.
frank_buss

Re: a 64 channel logic analyzer with 100 MHz samplerate

Postby aolofsson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 pm

Wow, I am speechless! This is an incredible project!!

Fred has created a nice KiCad template for daughter cards. Does it make sense to create a version that would be the same form factor as the Parallella board itself with the exposed analyzer pins sticking up from the backside like the Porcupine?

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1374

I would love to be able to walk around with a logic analyzer in my shirt pocket.:-)

btw. Just in case you might find it useful for debugging for other projects, we can send you a sample Porcupine breakout board. Just send a note to support@adapteva.com.

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby frank_buss » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:34 pm

I think a general purpose logic analyzer daugther board would be a good idea. I don't have time to develop it at the moment, my project was just a quick hack to debug , but in combination with the other pins from the PEC north / south connector, some analog circuitry to protect the analyzer inputs and some driver to provide 50 ohm output signals, maybe even some fast DACs, it could become a really powerful signal analyzer / signal generator device.

Thanks for the Porcupine board, looks useful. I'll write to the support.
frank_buss

Postby aolofsson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 pm

Nice! Thanks for the feedback regarding the logic analyzer. We'll see if someone picks up the project or if we decide to push this forward. There doesn't seem to be anything like this around and I am sure it would be useful for some.

btw. Congrats on the Kerberos funding. I like the fact that in some small way one crowd-funded project is helping another one deliver. Very poetic :D

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby aolofsson » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Frank,

You might want to consider submitting your project(s) to the Hackaday competition. If I was a judge, I would vote for you.:-)
http://hackaday.io/prize/rewards

Andreas
aolofsson

Postby frank_buss » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:47 pm

There are already a lot of open source logic analyzers, for example with 32 channels. Wouldn't be very novel for the hackaday prize to just enhance it to 64 channels, and then for monitoring C64 signals, only :)
frank_buss

Postby aolofsson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Apparently I am too easily impressed. :D Thanks for the link. That's an impressive piece of test equipment for $50!
aolofsson

Return to FPGA Design