[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - USB Issue Troubleshooting

USB Issue Troubleshooting

Hardware related problems and workarounds

Re: USB Issue Troubleshooting

Postby piotr5 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:12 pm

maybe I misunderstand, but wouldn't the delay before boot also delay the initial fluctuations caused by turning on fpga and epiphany? also maybe the usb-electronics itself might be badly designed and cause such fluctuations on its own. nobody has equipment to measure short-time changes in power drawn?
piotr5

Postby ajtravis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:21 am

Minke Informatics Limited, Registered in Scotland - Company No. SC419028
ajtravis

Postby teekai » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:07 pm

parallella@parallella:/$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 14cd:6116 Super Top M6116 SATA Bridge
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0736 Genesys Logic, Inc. microSD Reader/Writer
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
parallella@parallella:/$
parallella@parallella:/$ sudo fdisk -l | grep Disk
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 63.9 GB, 63864569856 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00029239
parallella@parallella:/$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 63.9 GB, 63864569856 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 1948992 cylinders, total 124735488 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00029239

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1 * 2048 206847 102400 b W95 FAT32
/dev/mmcblk0p2 206848 7620607 3706880 83 Linux

I'm trying to look for a command which can list my USB drives like /dev/sda, /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2. I remember using command: sudo fdisk -l | grep Disk would do but now it doesn't.
I'm running the Headless 14.04 7010
teekai

Postby ajtravis » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:45 am

ajtravis

Postby piotr5 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:01 am

piotr5

Postby jeinstei » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:41 pm

I was wondering if there has been any further news on this? Has anyone run USB on bare metal instead of with Linux? I personally haven't, but I'm surprised not to hear anything about it here. If it is an issue with the OS, that would pop up immediately.
jeinstei

Postby ajtravis » Sun May 03, 2015 11:33 pm

ajtravis

Postby piotr5 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:40 am

since I made the advertisement for getting kick-starter stuff I should mention 3 days before the end of the campaign:

is about double the price but probably slightly better for people around here. not that I know the difference between them, but maybe this kickstarter-campaign is more trustworthy than the one I mentioned earlier? guess for debugging power-supply either is good enough, couldn't the AD pins of some other parallellas be used to build something better than either of them, something that could even decode signals on the mainboard of a PC? guess several raspberry pi or
piotr5

Postby ArunD » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:12 pm

Hello.

I am noting the same / similar USB detection problem / symptoms that others have reported. I need the setup to be able to use the USB wifi device and other peripherals (external storage/drive), and move on to working with more important/interesting board capabilities/features. Short of a full QA / reliability testing what other info could be useful in diagnosing the problem?

- It's unpredictable. When it fails lsusb reports "unable to initialize libusb: -99". Have no sense/feel of the frequency of failure. Some observations lead me to note: when lsusb fails I power off the board for some time, then on power on it may work. And when it's working and a warm reboot is performed the usb may be recognized again. But when it fails, it will continue to fail upon warm reboot.
- My setup has a powered USB hub with 5V/4A power. Only an Edimax USB Wifi device is connected.
- Parallella heatsink is attached as described in the documentation.
- Parallella power supply is one that was packaged with it / came with it.
- Parallella SKU is P1601-DK03 - a desktop version. It's a new board that arrived not more than three weeks ago.
- Setup is headless. HDMI cable is removed.
- Have a fan for cooling but it is powered from an external 12V supply.
- Kernel is custom built from Parallella kernel Githut sources, with uname reporting "3.14.12-parallella-xilinx-g7a0dc64-dirty". The config used for the build is attached.

I briefly tested with HDMI cable & monitor connected, but encountered others issues and chose to focus on what's working better on the headless setup. HDMI setup observations:
- "e-hw-rev" just froze the board all the times when I executed it.
- I could not see the parallella-thermald running, nor could locate the binary on the image.
- The image I used was from Adapteva's site "ubuntu-14.04-hdmi-z7010-20140611.img".
- USB was detected the couple of times I booted the board. The Edimax wifi device was detected, but besides being able to detect the SSIDs I could not get the desktop UI to connect to the access point. The UI allowed me to setup the Wifi configure the wifi. Also, I have not been able to get the command line wifi setup to achive the same. I do not know if this is tied to the USB issue or not, so mentioning it here anyway.
- Perhaps a Linaro distro issue, perhaps I am unfamiliar with the admin UI: I could not determine how to setup the networking while being a non-root user. Command line is no issue.

The kernel config (edited to remove comments and blank lines) as reported in /proc/config.gz is attached.
Attachments
config.txt
kernel config parameters as in /proc/config.gz
(17.41 KiB) Downloaded 1862 times
ArunD

Postby ArunD » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Some thoughts/questions/wishes/complaints :)

Since a distinct product "desktop" exists one expectation is that it's physically packaged as a desktop computer.
- I would like to put my setup in a case, has a fan with it. I can see cases for R-Pi, but they don't fit well. Besides I would like to have a case that is designed to include the Porcupine board also. Can anyone recommend one seller?
- Connectors are easily accessible and are robust: The USB, HDMI, and power connectors are surface mounted, and seem to be at a higher risk of coming off the board. I had one unit where the USB port came off when trying to pull out USB cable connected to it - despite being careful. Is there a technique to safely working with these?
- There's a single, tested, and documented source of info for getting a basic setup working. Based on the initial exploration I have come to believe that the individual software pieces, and the documentation are available, just that it's a learning experience to locate them... I suspect it's something many new users would like to get past quickly to working with the lot more interesting capabilities/features of the board!

Perhaps a more accurate description of the current product would be a prototype board for desktop computer.
ArunD

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting