Buildroot/Yocto support

Forum about Parallella boot process, linux kernel, distros, SD-cards, etc.

Buildroot/Yocto support

Postby jearley » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:22 pm

Hey all,

I just ordered a 1601 an expect it tomorrow. I'd like to do test builds using Yocto and Buildroot for this board (possibly Xilinx PetaLinux as well?) and would like some quick pointers to whatever is already out there. I'll also scan the forum, but thought it best just to ask on the off-chance that someone has some quick links to paste in. Thanks in advance.
jearley

Re: Buildroot/Yocto support

Postby sebraa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:08 am

There is a public kernel repository containing all the necessary drivers, there are public repositories containing all the Epiphany-related software, which you can all find on Adapteva's github. I don't know if there is Yocto/Buildroot support right now, though.

Since kernel, device-tree and bitstream are not stored on the root filesystem (due to the fact that the Parallella boots from a FAT partition on the SD card), you can as well build these manually or use the provided binaries. Apart from these parts, the OS is basically just a bog-standard Linux-ARM environment, and you can already use those tools to create custom root filesystems.

It depends mostly on whether you want/need the Epiphany libraries and development system or not. In the latter case, everything (sans kernel, device-tree and bitstream) should already be there.
sebraa

Postby jearley » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:51 pm

For those who have not tracked it down, here is the Github for all Parallella work:

https://github.com/parallella
jearley

Postby peteasa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Yocto support .. see https://github.com/peteasa/parallella/wiki. If you just want the yocto bits look at the parallella-yoctobuild repo. I am a couple of commits behind the official main line but it works ok for me! Buildroot.. hmm should not be too difficult but I have not tried it because Yocto is so good!

Peter.
peteasa

Return to Linux/U-Boot