[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Parallella Community • View topic - 64 bit off-core writes in C

64 bit off-core writes in C

Discussion about Parallella (and Epiphany) Software Development

Moderators: amylaar, jeremybennett, simoncook

Re: 64 bit off-core writes in C

Postby notzed » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:22 pm

notzed

Postby over9000 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi, notzed. Sorry, I meant it as a tongue-in-cheek comment. It was a bit cheeky, at any rate. I do find a lot of this stuff fascinating to read about (your blog too, is excellent--I wish I was as productive when it came to programming). I think that personally, I do get bogged down too much in the minutia of the code when I'm working on something when often it would be best for me to just step back, call that section "good enough" and get on to working with higher-level stuff or other sections. That blog link is probably more relevant to me than you, though I think it presents an interesting view, regardless.
As to gcc, I had it in the back of my mind that I came across a problem with the alignment attribute before, but I can't dredge up an exact memory or reference. I might have mis-remembered. But as you say, it's a moot point anyway since it didn't improve the assembly output.
over9000

Postby notzed » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:34 am

No offence taken. Experience helps with knowing when the minutae is important. Mostly I just write stuff where just getting it running is good enough but if performance is an issue or i have the time I also enjoy delving further. Up to a point at least, my patience certainly isn't what it once was.

I'm still in the learning phase of this hardware, so this is the kind of thing I want to know about. Even if it turns out to be pointless the knowledge that it is pointless, or the knowledge of the bounds of its pointlessness, isn't.
notzed

Postby amylaar » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:14 pm

amylaar

Previous

Return to Programming Q & A